A summer holiday on the Greek Islands is one of my favourite choices! Having done this already a few years there are several tips I would like to give you before you embark on your next holiday!
Language: A few Greek Basics are necessary to make sure you have the authentic Greek experience!
- Kalimera: Good Morning
- Kalispera: Good Afternoon
- Kalinikta: Good night
- Kalí óreksi!: Bon Apetit
- Efkharisto: Thank you
- Parakalo: Please/ You are welcome
- Milas Anglika?: Do you speak English?
Food: Greek food is delicious! If you are in Greece on Holiday there are some dishes you cannot leave without trying.
- Greek Salad: Feta, tomato, cucumbers, onion, oregano… Sound familiar?
- Gyros: Sliced meets with Pita bread, tzatziki sauce.. doesn’t that just sound amazing?
- Moussaka: Aubergines, meat, spices and so much more! There are many versions of Moussaka, you must at least try one!
- Baklava: There are also many kinds of Baklava, make sure to try the original and also the custard filled which is in shape of a triangle!
- Olives in Olive Oil: When having your aperitif, order a portion of olive’s in olive oil, exquisite!
Some more General tips include:
- Avoid peak season: Avoid going when everyone goes as you tend to find places filled with tourists to the point that you wonder where the Greeks are. Travel either at the begging of the season or at the end which could mean a more authentic holiday without the hassle of all the tourists.
- Visit several Islands: One of the great things about the Greek Islands is that there are several! If you go for more than a week I recommend Island hopping, either for the day to a close by Island of switching Islands during your holidays. All Islands are uniqe although there are some Islands like Santorini and Mykonos that have cliffs and are known for the towns on the cliffs whereas Crete and Rhodes for example have more beach resorts. There are Greek Islands for all types of holidays!
- Don’t expect punctuality: If you are planning on taking public transport at some point, don’t expect the bus to arrive on time. Embrace this because it is the way it is and the bus will arrive at some point!
- Take cash: Although there are ATMs and credit and debit cards are available, they are not always available so make sure to take some cash just in case!
Don’t forget to pack essentials such as:
- Protection from the sun
- After sun lotion
In my experience it has been very easy to find wifi on the islands, there are always convenience stores where you can buy things you may have forgotten. Make sure to leave a bit of space when packing to be able to take some herbs back with you! If you have more space the olive oil is splendid and so are the artisanal honeys!
Prepare yourself for an unforgettable holiday in a beautiful country that has a lot to offer!